How Do You Prepare for an Open House?
Preparing for your first open house? Here’s how to do it.
If you’re a home seller preparing for your first open house, today I’ll share some tips on how to get ready. Typically, the Realtor does the bulk of the work, but you as a seller also have some work to do.
1. Make sure the entire house is cleaned. Do a thorough cleaning of your entire home, and be sure to put away all your laundry, personal items, etc. If you have any valuables, don’t leave them in the home. Instead, take them with you or hide them somewhere where few people will have access to them. Buyers will be looking through closets, cupboards, and the like, so store them in a safe place.
2. Avoid cooking pungent meals before the open house. Buyers can be put off by strong smells, so do your best to leave your home smelling fresh and pleasant.
3. Consider pleasant-smelling candles. Vanilla, cinnamon, or mild seasonal scents can be a great way to create an inviting atmosphere for guests.
"Our agents are prepared to take safety precautions to keep you, your family, and the buyers as safe as possible during the process."
4. Let in as much natural light as possible. Open your curtains and window coverings to let in natural light.
5. Leave the home for the open house. I highly recommend that you leave your house during the event. Staying could impact how people discuss your home, and you want to get as much honest feedback as possible.
I know that in this era of COVID, many people don’t even want to host open houses, and I completely understand why. However, just know that our agents are prepared to take safety precautions to keep you, your family, and the buyers as safe as possible during the process. That includes providing gloves to everyone as they enter the property.
If you have further questions about hosting open houses safely or anything else to do with real estate, feel free to contact me. I’d be happy to speak with you.